Thursday, December 31, 2009

Do my husband and I file jointly if I didn't work?

I didn't work at all this year, I am a full time student. When my husband files his income taxes, can we still file as married filing jointly even though I didn't work?Do my husband and I file jointly if I didn't work?
You don't have to file jointly, but you must file married (seperate or joint). I am often asked by people if one spouse doesn't work, can't the working spouse 'claim' the non-working spouse. If you file married, then there is no need for one to claim the other (that happens automatically).





If you are a full time student, it would probably be to both of your benefits to file a joint return. If you are working towards a college degree (associates, bachelors, masters, PH.D), then you can claim a portion of your tuition as a tax credit. It could increase your refund by as much as $2,000. If you file seperate, you lose it, simply because you have no income, and thus no taxes to offset.Do my husband and I file jointly if I didn't work?
Yes, you can file jointly even though only one had an income. Read the instructions in the tax forms.
Yes.
Yes ,full time student is credit too.
Sure, I do this every year and my wife doesn't work. Being a student actually has nothing to do with how you file as far as I know, but you might have other tax advantages available as a student (tuition, books, etc. as deductions for example) that you can use regardless of how you file. I'd suggest you discuss your situation with a tax preparation company who can give you better advice on which way to go.
Sure you can, and it will save you taxes compared to having him file as married filing separately.





You are very likely eligible for a Hope credit or Lifetime Learning credit for part of your tuition.
Yes, you can always file a joint return. It very plainly states that in the instructions.
Yes
yes

No comments:

Post a Comment