Thursday, December 31, 2009

Can my husband and I claim our daughter who is 19 and lived with us for 10 months in 2008?

She did make $5138 in 2008 at her part time job. She was married in October and moved in with her husband but he did not claim her on his taxes he just did for 2008. He was told since she lived with us for 10 months he couldn't claim her. I was going through Turbo Tax and they said we could not claim her. Help!Can my husband and I claim our daughter who is 19 and lived with us for 10 months in 2008?
You can claim anyone as long as you provided 51% or more of their support and they are not claimed as a dependent on another return. Your daughter cannot claim herself on her own return.Can my husband and I claim our daughter who is 19 and lived with us for 10 months in 2008?
I believe you can if she was in school, high school or college you can call the irs and they can tell you for sure
I think the fact that she is now married makes her ineligible to be your dependent. I could be wrong though.





I would think she and her husband would have to file either married filing jointly or married filing seperately. She does not qualify as a dependent for either of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment