Friday, April 30, 2010

Husband is Americn Indian, what do I do to register my kids?

My husband is 1/2 american indian, his father was born and raised on the reservation. I asked my husband about the registry and he doesn't want anything to do with it. I know my kids would qualify for their benefits. How do I start this process?Husband is Americn Indian, what do I do to register my kids?
Call the tribe. ask them for an ';enrollment packet'; Inside there will be a ';Family Tree'; to fill out. Most ask for a ';ROLL NUMBER'; You WILL have to prove a direct link. If grampa is willing to give you his roll number, you'll only have to prove a link to HIM, via birth cert. Each tribe is different, they either go by blood quantum, or lineage. If you need a contact list, the BIA has a website with a PDF of tribal contacts. Most nations have websites today. If you need any help, email me. I've helped more then a few 'back home'.Husband is Americn Indian, what do I do to register my kids?
Go to the nearest reservation and ask for the local sherriff


or official and ask them. They should know.. Or you can Google search Department of Indian affairs. That may help you.
They are just American. I am half Irish, but I don't call myself an Irish-American. I am simply an American with a proud Irish heritage.





Calling your children American will not take away from their proud Native heritage. And calling them Native American just to get benefits will not instill in them the drive to work hard to get ahead. They will just rely on their NA status and be lazy.
Contact the Tribal Office on the reservation. They will help you.
it would be best to go to the nations local field office....they will have all the applications and will be able to tell you more accurately than i can but i know with one of my former boyfriends they had to go get proof of his lineage. so you will probably have to consult with your husbands father and other relatives for that information. but if your husband has a CDIB card which is certificate of degree of indian blood or something like that your children will be able to use his number until they are 18 and then they will be required to get their own number. but its alot easier to just get it done now. with a CDIB the benefits vary from tribe to tribe. some have funds set up that will assist in college tuition, medical and dental insurance, various programs like the one where i live they have different sports camps and projects during the summer which the kids attend for free and everything is provided. they always have outings planned for the kids and many many many other great benefits. good luck to you.
american indian! register them as american indian!





there are SOOOO many benefits they can get if they are registered as AI...





plus it will teach them to be proud of their heritage!








go to the local courthouse and tell them you want to register your children as AI
Blanca you need the grandfather's registration number and you can get this by some geneology work or by inquiring to his tribe. From there your children can be registered. Is there any specific reason he doesn't want to register them? That sounds a bit odd concidering that he is doing them a disservice for not registering them. Go to the Guillon-Miller Roll or the Dawes Roll to look for his past relatives and from there you can also obtain their enrollement information.

No comments:

Post a Comment